John J. Garvey III
- Insurance Defense and Coverage
- Construction Defect
- Product Defect
- First-Party and Third-Party Claims
- Nursing Home
- Probate and Surety
John is a civil litigation attorney who has tried over 75 cases to verdict. He represents business owners, individuals, insurers, nursing home operators, and indigent citizens. His wide-ranging practice includes handling all manner of civil disputes, whether in pre-suit resolution, litigation through trial, or in following appeals.
John handles automobile accident, product defect, construction defect, first-party insurance coverage, first-party bad faith, third-party bad faith, probate, nursing home, commercial and real estate disputes.
John is a Past President of the Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys and Past President of the Northern Kentucky Bar Association.
A native of Columbus, Ohio, he and his wife Michele live in Ft. Mitchell, Kentucky with their daughter and two sons.
- Northern Kentucky University, Salmon P. Chase College of Law, Highland Heights, Kentucky
- J.D. – 1991
- Xavier University
- B.A. – 1988
- Major: Honors (Classics)
- Major: History
- Supreme Court of Kentucky
- Supreme Court of Ohio
- Supreme Court of Indiana
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana
- Kentucky Bar Association, House of Delegates, 1998-2004
- Northern Kentucky Bar Association, President, 2009
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys, President, 2016
- Cincinnati Bar Association, Character & Fitness Committee, 1995-Present; Fee Arbitration Committee, 2010-Present
- Defense Research Institute, Trucking Law, Product Liability, Construction Law Committee
- Chase Law School Alumni Association, President, 2018
- St. Thomas More Society, Red Mass Committee
- Ohio Super Lawyer, Law & Politics Magazine, 2010
- Kentucky Super Lawyer, Law & Politics Magazine 2019, 2020
- Cincinnati Bar Association, Academy of Leadership for Lawyers, Class of 2006
- Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Northern Kentucky, 2010
- Salmon P. Chase, College of Law, Alumni Association, Exceptional Service Award, 2014
- American Legion, Department of Ohio, Buckeye Boys State, Hall of Fame Inductee, 2014
- Northern Kentucky Volunteer Lawyers for the Poor
- Legal Aid Society of Cincinnati Volunteer Lawyers Project
- The Memorial Golf Tournament, Dublin, OH, Volunteer (Shotlink, Marshall), 1997- present
- Pregnancy Center East, Inc., women’s crisis pregnancy center, Board of Advisors 1996-2002; 2015-2016; Board of Trustees 2003-2014; 2017; President, 2009-2013
- American Legion Buckeye Boys State Program, Counselor, 1987-Present
- Insurance Coverage – Obtained summary judgment in trial court, affirmed by First District Court of Appeals of Ohio, on uninsured motorists claim for shooting death of insured occurring while driving his motor vehicle., Par v. GEICO Gen. Ins. Co., 2020-Ohi-5247.
- Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith – Obtained summary judgment in trial court on complex coverage case involving insurer’s defense of counterclaims where insured terminated assigned defense counsel and claimed private attorney was entitled to assume defense and charge insurer over $500,000 in fees. Court found termination was improper breach of contract, denied insured’s claims for breach of contract and bad faith and denied claims for payment of attorney’s fees. , Christy Kenworthy v. Motorists Mutual Insurance Company, Cause No. 68D01-1706-PL-000519, Randolph Superior Court, Randolph County Indiana (October 23, 2020).
- Personal Injury Defense – Obtained order striking Plaintiff’s medical expert on Daubert challenge and summary judgment for parents in negligent entrustment claim asserted by Plaintiff in regard to their son causing wreck while , Longworth v. Jack Haddix, et al., Case No. 19 CV 092635, Warren County, Ohio, Common Pleas (November 20, 2020).
- Personal Injury Defense – Obtained defense verdict for real estate developer following five-day jury trial where Plaintiff claimed over $2 Million in damages, jury found defendant was negligent but said negligence was not the proximate cause of Plaintiff’s claimed injuries., Stephens v. Rose Valley Land Group, Ltd., Case No. A1702669, Hamilton County, Ohio, Common Pleas Court, May 14, 2019.
- Fire Cause and Origin – Subrogation Defense – Obtained a defense verdict for plumbing company following four-day jury trial where Plaintiff claimed in excess of $900,000 in subrogation, for recovery of its payment of damages its insureds suffered following a fire at the Longnecks Bar & Brill in October, 2013. Jury found defendant company was negligent but said negligence was not a substantial factor in causing the fire or damages claimed. , Cincinnati Insurance Company a/s/o Longnecks, LLC and A&C Properties, LLC v. Neiheisel Plumbing, Inc., Case No. 15-CI-502, Campbell County Circuit Court, Newport, Kentucky, March 12, 2020.